Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Day 5: Pain, Heat, Frustration

Today tested me physically, mentally, and emotionally.  My body is wearing down, especially my feet.  There is a dull pain in my quads at all times.  My shoulders ache.  My feet were in some serious pain today.  At one point, I stopped on the side of the road...took off my shoes and just lied down in the grass.  Some Amish guy stopped by to see if I was ok. 

I'm learning a lot about my bike, myself and what works for me and what doesn't.  After killing some Wendy's tonight in Dalton, I got on the Sippo Valley Trail to Massillon.  I was disappointed initially to see that the trail was gravel and dirt.  But then, something happened and I pedaled faster and stronger than I had all day.  I was moving!  I decided back in Dalton that I couldn't make it to Akron tonight so I better come up with an alternate plan.  I hate leaving 70 miles for tomorrow but I need rest and there are no hotels for 30 miles past Massillon.  I ended up finding a Hampton Inn right downtown and they had availability. 

I've showered, put on my muscle rub and I'm getting ready for bed.  I've researched tomorrows route and its all on the Towpath Trail so that will eliminate a lot of navigational uncertainty.  It also means it will be flat which is huge.  I noticed this evening that I ride a lot faster when its cool.  This happened on Day 3 when I pulled out of London at 6 a.m.  So I've got a 5 a.m. wake up call.  Its going to be a long hard day but I'm going to give it all I've got to make it to Lake Erie.  My friend Rachel is going to meet me there.  She rocks for driving up to pick me up! 

Good night all!  Tomorrow is a big day....wish me luck! 

1 comment: